Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Nike Running as a PLN?

Ok so I've been wanting to start running since this summer. I have always been the type of girl who just assumes I can't run, but over the summer I got pretty good at it, and then I got married and started school and I havn't really been devoted to it since! So when I was looking at 2.0 sites to add to my PLN I found the Nike+ site that gives advice for runners, and training programs for running in races or marathons. there is also an area that allows runners to talk to each other and compare ideas about running, and information on specific races across the US. I am way excited about it because I can finally get a schedule to help me start running, and If I follow their schedule online than I can know exactly how far, and long I should run each day to get in better shape and prepare for a race!
I really like the ideas of PLN's. there is just too much information out there for one person to know, and if you have a big PLN you are able to access all that information much more readily. I only wish I devoted more time to creating my PLN and to learning in general! If I could do this I would be able to learn so much more, and more efficiently. I find that I spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to do things, but if I had a big PLN I culd find answers to my questions through that and would waste less time!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Sounds like you really love PLN's. I found a similar one from Nike- the SPARQ training (Speed Power Agility Reaction Quickness)which I think is great for pretty much all athletes. Maybe not so much for runners specifically, but still good. Anyways, I agree with you that a PLN is super convenient and useful. I just wish someone could set mine up for me because I am technologically impaired...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ever since we talked about the evolution of endurance running in my Bio 420 class, I've been much more excited about running (even though I always thought that I wasn't a runner). You've maybe heard of the research Dr. Daniel Lieberman has been doing on the mechanics of walking/running with and without shoes. His research suggests that it's healthier, safer, and more natural to run barefoot instead of wearing shoes.

    Here are some links:

    http://blogs.nature.com/news/thegreatbeyond/2010/01/nature_video_the_barefoot_prof.html

    http://www.nature.com.erl.lib.byu.edu/nature/journal/v463/n7280/full/nature08723.html

    http://www.nature.com.erl.lib.byu.edu/nature/journal/v463/n7280/full/463433a.html

    ReplyDelete