Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Learning Your Whole Life Long!

I have always been a fan of Life Long Learning! I think that there are many benefits (especially in teaching) to constantly trying to learn as much as you can about the world around us. This is actually the reason I was first interested ni biology, because I felt I was learning very interesting things about the world around me in every class and every day. Then I decided that I would love to help others learn about the world around them as well!

When I think about life long learning I am reminded of the great examples of the founding fathers, Joseph Smith, and our current Prophet, Thomas S. Monson. He is so learned in the areas of poetry, classical books, and the gospel. I love how he always uses literature, or poetry in his talks, they make gospel topics more relevant to me. I want to work harder at reading good books and listening to good music so that I can to learn more every day.

Sometimes the idea of lifelong learning can be overwhelming as well though. There is so much information out there, and there is no way that anyone person could ever learn it all! But I am encuoraged when I think that if we do our part to learn when we can we will be aided in our efforts and we will learn all things (in the eternities or course). This makes me want to do better at learning, and to not waste my time on silly things like television, and video games. I know that if we can become life long learners it will not only benefit ourselves, but it will also benefit our children, spouse, and all of the students that we teach.

3 comments:

  1. I wish I was better at not wasting time! I find that too often I intend to study, but I end up laying on my bed daydreaming and listening to music... It's true that if we put forth sincere effort we will be helped with understanding. Well put Kara.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had those same thoughts about how overwhelming all of the truths and information out there can seem when we feel so busy already. But I do believe, as you mentioned, that we are aided in our efforts by a much higher power than our own. Whenever I feel the Spirit lifting my understanding (whether on a spiritual question or a scientific one) I feel so encouraged about the prospect of lifelong learning.

    ReplyDelete