Thursday, March 4, 2010

Synchronous Communication... Yoda uses it.

So from what I have read and learned, Synchronous Communication is when people use technology to communicate with each other using video programs like skype, or talk online using msn messenger at the same time, hence the word "synchronous".

When I wached the lecture that was given where the person speaking was not even in the room it reminded me of an old Disney Channel movie called Zenon, Girl of the 21st century! haha in this movie Zenon and her friends are living on a space station up in space and when they go to school they are taught through a hologram teacher who is down on earth! haha This is awesome... I wonder if one day we will be able to do this?!

Also, holograms are used as forms of communication in star wars on many occasions, therefore, its a pretty legit way to talk to people, so we should all do it more often!
Here a picture of Princess Leah pleading for help from Obi Wan. (OK so this isn't "synchronous"... but still, its cool)





And Here is a picture of Yoda, talking with his fellow members of the Jedi Council.






These are both forms of synchronous communication!

I am such a fan of synchronous communication. I think it has so many wonderful aspects to it that can be applied to many areas in our life. I decided to talk with a couple of my friends in Hawaii who worked at Sea Life Park with me! I havn't seen them face to face in like a year and a half and it was so fun to see them and to be able to see their expressions while we talked! They are doing really good, and loved all the tsunami excitement of this past weekend!

Anyways, I really enjoyed this assignment, and I think that synchronous communication is such a blessing. We are so lucky that we live in an age where technology is so advanced that we can talk with people face to face who are half a world away! Its really exciting actually! I can't wait to see what technology comes up with next!

2 comments:

  1. Zetus Lupitus! Haha, too bad I totally watched Zenon back in the day and I know exactly what you're talking about ;) It would definitely be awesome to communicate with cool little hologram things and I bet it won't be too long before we have that technology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Star Wars references. They definitely set the standard high for the use of synchronous as well as asynchronous video use. Star Trek, on the other hand, makes a good case for still using non-visual communication too. Sometimes the visual aspect can be distracting, so just pushing a button on your uniform (or nowadays you can push the bluetooth device in your ear) and simply talking away while you continue to fend off alien creatures can be the ideal solution.

    ReplyDelete